Where is the first coal mine in Vietnam?

According to historical documents, Ke Bao coal mine (Van Yen commune, Van Don district) was identified as the first coal mine in Vietnam. And now, Vietnam Coal and Mineral Industry Group in collaboration with Quang Ninh Provincial Folk Arts Association is planning to build a beer house here to mark this event …
Back in the history, we know that coal mining by Vietnamese people in Dong Trieu began in 1840. However, it is only a form of manual and primitive exploitation. Only after the French took over and established the ruling apparatus, the process of coal mining was carried out on a scale. In 1888, the French started to set up a coal mine and Ke Bao was the first coal mine established by S.F.C.T (Bac Ky Coal Company) on September 1, 1888.
Also during this time, the French governor of Indochina without indenture of the Nguyen court donated the entire coal mine Ke Bao to gunman Giay-duy-puy because he had led the French to take over Tonkin. On the way from Ke Bao coal mine to Van Hoa port more than 10km, the French made roads and some iron bridges, concrete bridges to bring coal to ports, underground roads through culverts, mountain roads to pass through. In the past, the Van Don people were still known as Min-bow bridges or Cai Lang bridge.
On December 9, 1911, France established Ke Bao Coal Company with an initial capital of 30 million Phnom Penh. In 1890, this coal mine had 2,750 workers. The output of exploited coal of Ke Bao Company is 30,242 tons. From 1888 to 1935, along with Ke Bao coal mine, French capitalists have set up 80 large and small coal mines in Quang Ninh coal region. Ke Bao coal mine was born as an important event in the development of Vietnam’s coal industry. Also from here, Vietnamese mining workers are born.
In the process of coal mining, the colonialists and the miners tried to exploit, suppress workers, and to save resources. This was reflected in the press at that time. In July 1924, an author with the pseudonym Nguyen Thi Hong wrote “Ke Bao coal stew” published in Tan Van newspaper published in Saigon. Also because of unbearable oppression and exploitation of mine owners, in 1929, a group of 26 workers rebelled, they pushed 2 French soldiers into the well and then ran away. This is the starting point for mine workers’ struggles later culminating in the large-scale struggle of 30,000 miners on November 12, 1936 …
It is known that the beer house is located in the campus of about 100m2, the floor is 36m2 wide. The beer house has a fake wood structure, surrounded by high walls about 0.7m. Mr. Ho Anh Tuan, Deputy Head of Culture and Information Department of Van Don district, said that the relic area is still in ruins, the road of coal truck, coal truck, etc. But all were seriously degraded, seemingly forgotten, not being properly cared for. Therefore, the first project that is delineated to protect this monument will be very meaningful.
Mr. Chu Van Bac, Vice Chairman of Van Yen Commune People’s Committee (Van Don) also added that there are now three iron bridges, concrete bridges, doors, winches, some blockhouse, ventilation road. According to Mr. Bac, it is estimated that this area will be about 3 ha wide, currently being forest land and residential land allocated to people in the commune. So when zoning relics, Coal Industry Group – Minerals of Vietnam need to work with relatives with the land that relics are located on …
According to Quang Ninh Newspaper

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *